Quantcast

Need help with implementing support for ID-based storage

Need help with implementing support for ID-based storage

palasaty
Hi,

We are developing large object storage system and want to run some performance tests against it.
After reading documentation and looking at COSBench source code I see one problem: our system uses object ID (OID) (not filename) as key for data. Also, there is no such notion as container or namespace.
Interaction scheme is like this: when client program wants to save data, it connects to node, authenticates and transfers required data to the storage; return value is the OID of stored data. Data can be later accessed (or deleted) via this OID.

In other words, in this API function I am unable to store given data with name 'object', because real OID is returned only after object has been written:
public void storeStreamedObject(String container, String object,
        InputStream data, long length) throws IOException, AbcStorClientException {
    // add storage access logic here.
}

I see there is a recorded feature request for this: https://github.com/intel-cloud/cosbench/issues/119
Can you share some insights into how this could be implemented? Does it require rewriting large amount of code? Or maybe I can use some workaround without touching code?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: Need help with implementing support for ID-based storage

ywang19
Administrator
Hi Andrew,

For ID-based object access, so far it's not supported. COSBench currently uses container/object style to access objects, and no workaround without code modifications. To support ID-based storage, a few significant modifications should be applied. I added it in issue list for tracking, but my insight is it's not upcoming task due to the incompatibility with current design.

regards,
-yaguang

Re: Need help with implementing support for ID-based storage

ywang19
Administrator
Actually, I'm happy to see people are interested in the feature can contribute on it, and I would provide technical support.